Ominous smartd messages ....

David Christensen dpchrist at holgerdanske.com
Thu Aug 4 04:49:29 UTC 2016

On 08/03/2016 01:27 PM, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
> Can I do that 'zpool scrub' live ?

I try to scrub when the machine is not in use.

> No spare SATA slots :-/ ....

How about expansion slots -- e.g. PCI, PCIe?

> On 08/03/16 15:19, Matthew Seaman wrote:

>> Also, the fact that you have how ever many terabytes of data with no
>> resilience just makes me feel on edge -- and it's not even my data.

+1

>> Strongly recommend rebuilding your zpool as a RAIDZ of 8 drives -- yes,
>> you'll end up with less usable space, but you and your data will survive
>> failure of a drive and a 'zpool scrub' will be able to fix things even
>> if a bad spot on one drive has scrambled some of your data.
>
> I was/am already thinking along those lines, w/ 1 complication. I have
> another box (NetBSD 6.1.5) w/ a RAID5 that I wound up building w/
> mis-aligned disk/RAID blocks in spite of a fair amount of effort to
> avoid that. I/O writes are horrible, 15-20 MB/s. My understanding is
> that RAIDZn is like RAID5 in many ways & that you always want 2^n+1
> (3,5,9, ...) drives in a RAID5 to mitigate those misalignments,
> presumably in a RAIDZ also. Is that so w/ RAIDZ as well ? If so, I lose
> more than a small amount of total storage, which is why I went as I did
> when I built the box whenever that was.

How much data do you have on the 8 @ 1 TB machine?

How are you doing backups?  Archives?  Images?

How much data are you willing to lose?

What is your usage environment -- e.g. student/ hobbyist, SOHO, SMB,
large corporate?

What are your budget and schedule?

David