wireless hints: AP, username, password - does not work

Jon Radel jon at radel.com
Tue Aug 2 23:43:51 UTC 2016

On 8/2/16 6:11 PM, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
> I need to use my FreeBSD 11-current laptop
> in a new environment where all I'm given is
> the access point (AP) name, the username and the password.
> The local help is not great.
> I'm told my browser should "automatically" point me
> to a page where I enter the username and the password.

Try treating it as an open AP and fire up a browser.  What they're
probably describing is the ability for many APs to redirect / discard
all traffic from a new MAC, where HTTP/HTTPS is redirected to an HTTP
authentication page on the AP itself.  After you authenticate, it
actually routes your traffic.

--
--Jon Radel
jon at radel.com