Is 10.3 i386 jinxed ?

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Sat Apr 30 20:46:15 UTC 2016

On Sat, 30 Apr 2016, Manish Jain wrote:

> I reinstalled the whole system using xfce as the desktop. While things have
> improved, the system is still not workable.
>
> 1) The installer 'forgot' to place the boot code on the MBR. I had to use
> live CD + boot0cfg to fix that.

boot0cfg is (mostly) for writing the dual-boot boot0 code.  Use gpart
for ordinary booting.

> 2) The first time X started, xfce4-panel crashed
> 3) The second time, xfce-terminal crashed
> 4) The third time, trying to launch firefox rebooted the system.

This sounds unlike my experience with xfce.

Some of the Gateway NE56R models included Nvidia GPUs.  Some special
thing might be needed to properly support that GPU.

I have an i386 image with xfce that is bootable on most systems, but I
have not tested it with Nvidia due to a mysterious lack of them among my
computers.  It works fine on Intel and AMD video, though.

The RAM or power supply could be a problem with the Gateway.