How to build and install only ntp from base?

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Fri Apr 29 23:13:07 UTC 2016

Reko Turja via freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org> writes:

> As nothing else has changed with the latest 10.3 except ntp I'd love
> to compile only that. I just can't find the right incantation for
> starting the compile -  make <ntpd|build|compile> just tells me that
> <target> is up to date.

cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/ntp
make all install

You didn't need to guess: this IS in the Handbook...

> What command should I use to compile ntp stuff only - or should I just
> fire up the version from ports?

Using the version from ports is certainly reasonable -- it gives you
a lot more options and is updated more often -- but unless other
machines are synching to yours, it's unlikely that the advantages
(either way) would matter.