Sane way to resolve potential conflicts in the system

Carmel carmel_ny at outlook.com
Sun Apr 24 10:09:02 UTC 2016

On Sun, 24 Apr 2016 11:32:51 +0930, Shane Ambler stated:

>That is where poudriere fits in. If you build your own packages with
>poudriere you can build them with your own set of options.
>
>You can either do a manual make config with the options saved to files
>matching /var/db/ports/*/options or you can use a custom make.conf with
>lines like mail_postfix_SET= DOCS PGSQL TLS
>
>And it will build quicker than using ports as it can build many
>port in parallel based on the dependencies for each, where ports
>only builds one at a time. If you want the slower build on a working
>server you can disable or reduce multiple builds.

Well, this is where I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.
"poudriere" simply adds another layer of complexity and an additional
avenue of potential failure to what is a relatively simply process. I
am, and have always been a strong advocate of the "KISS" {Keep It Simple
Stupid" principal. Read past postings, and you will readily see that
"poudriere" is not a magical "cure all" for port woes. In fact, its
very presents may be hindering the development of a truly, fully
functional solution.

Again, just my 2 cents.

--
Carmel