Sane way to resolve potential conflicts in the system

William A. Mahaffey III wam at hiwaay.net
Sat Apr 23 20:49:43 UTC 2016

On 04/23/16 13:43, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> On 23 April 2016 at 19:28, Carmel <carmel_ny at outlook.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 23 Apr 2016 19:02:13 +0300, Odhiambo Washington stated:
>>
>>> I will need to look into this because I use a mixture of portupgrade
>>> and pkg on this system. Scary?
>> That is one of the reasons I avoid packages. I have several ports that
>> require custom configurations, such as Postfix, Dovecot and a few
>> others. It just doesn't pay for me to mix packages and ports. There
>> just isn't any upside. The package system is just to juvenile right now.
>> Until it matures, I will stay with ports.
>>

> I wouldn't say it's juvenile, but when it doesn't give me the option to
> customize (like make config) then I am afraid - very afraid - of it.

Packages necessarily don't give you that option. They aren't supposed
to. You accept whatever options the builder/maintainer selected &
install/upgrade. Where it might take hours to rebuild a bunch of ports,
it often takes just a few min. to install/upgrade packages. You pick
your option (ports or packages) & (hopefully) are happy w/ it. I
maintain this box w/ packages almost exclusively, except for flash
support in the browsers, which must be compiled up in ports due to
licensing issues. When I was getting started w/ FreeBSD, summer of 2014,
I built iceweasel in ports per list advice, took 5 1/2 hrs. (!!!!!). I
upgraded it a few weeks later w/ pkg, took less than 30 sec.

--

	William A. Mahaffey III