How to use freebsd in sony's PS Vita

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Sat Apr 23 11:22:55 UTC 2016

On 23/04/2016 04:33, Austin Walker wrote:
> How can I use the pkg package installer in sonys ps vita and how
> do i access it please reply ;)

As far as I know, there is no official support for pkg-style packages in
Sony's FreeBSD based devices.  Neither have I heard any reports of
anyone porting pkg to that platform.  So if you want to use pkg to
install packages there, it looks like you'ld have to do the work of
porting it there yourself.  Bringing up pkg on a new platform is not a
trivial thing -- the first thing you'll need is a compilation
environment where you can build programs that will run on the Sony
device.  Which means you'll need a compiler toolchain, make, perl,
autoconf and probably a few other applications.  Many of these are
orders of magnitude more complex to deal with than just pkg.

Also, even if you did have a copy of pkg that worked on a Sony device,
what would you do with it?  You can't just install standard FreeBSD
packages there and expect them to work.  Of course, once you could
compile pkg for sony, then you could probably compile a whole lot of
other stuff with relatively little effort.  If you could bring that off,
you'ld be doing very well indeed.

	Cheers,

	Matthew