php7 and pecl-pdflib fails

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Thu Apr 21 14:58:18 UTC 2016

On 2016/04/21 15:21, Andy Wodfer wrote:
> Hi,
> I recently upgraded to 10.3 REL on a test server. I'm trying to install all
> the latest versions for Apache, mysql, php and so on.
>
> php7 is installed and works perfectly with apache. However, I couldn't
> install the extension pecl-pdflib from the php7 extensions port, it fails
> with the message doesn't supprt php7.
>
> ===>   phpMyAdmin-4.6.0 depends on file:
> /usr/local/lib/php/20151012/openssl.so - found
> ===>   Returning to build of phpMyAdmin-4.6.0
> ===>   phpMyAdmin-4.6.0 depends on file: /usr/local/lib/php/20151012/pdf.so
> - not found
> ===>  pecl-pdflib-3.0.4 cannot be installed: doesn't work with lang/php70
> port (doesn't support PHP 70).
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> make[2]: stopped in /usr/ports/print/pecl-pdflib
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> make[1]: stopped in /usr/ports/databases/phpmyadmin
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> make: stopped in /usr/ports/databases/phpmyadmin
>
> Does this mean I can't install phpmyadmin for now or is there a way around
> this? pecl-pdflib hasn't been updated for a couple of years it seems..
>
> Anyone?

I believe phpMyAdmin itself is compatible with php7 -- but I haven't
personally tested that.  Even though I'm the maintainer for phpMyAdmin,
I don't use it that often nowadays: most of my database needs are served
by postgresql at the moment.

pecl-pdflib as you have found out is not compatible with php7.  You
should be able to get phpMyAdmin to install by turning off the PDF
option.  (typing: 'make config' in ${PORTSDIR}/databases/phpmyadmin is
one way to do that.)

In fact, all that option setting does is tell the packaging system that
PMA does or doesn't depend on the PDF modules used by PHP.  You get
exactly the same content for the PMA application either way and it will
autodetect the lack of a PDF module and adjust accordingly.  Without PDF
support you can't export your DB schema as a nicely formatted PDF
document.  AFAIR that's pretty much all the effect of not having it.

	Cheers,

	Matthew