Raid 1+0

Jon Radel jon at radel.com
Tue Apr 19 21:33:26 UTC 2016

On 4/19/16 2:44 PM, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
> My opinion that your conclusion that the drives having the same MTBF
> (or similar lifespans) are likely to die simultaneously contradicts my
> understanding of probability theory (or statistics basics). People
> life expectancy in some country is 75 years. Likelyhood that two
> _given_ people will die at age 40 is negligible. Even twin brothers
> are unlikely to die during the same week or Month. This one is between
> fundamental assumptions statistics is based on. Just my humble
> opinion. Valeri
You're confusing presence of correlation with a layman's "really, really
likely."

Of course the probability that two people of the same age will die in
the same month is higher than the probability that two randomly selected
people will die in the same month.  Likelihood of death is not constant
throughout life.  Frankly I take the actuaries that suggest my insurance
company up my life insurance premiums every 5 years waaaaaay more
seriously than you.

If you assume away all the interesting bits, your conclusions get pretty
useless.

Actually, people study this stuff.  See, for example:

http://biomedgerontology.oxfordjournals.org/content/53A/6/M441.full.pdf

--Jon Radel
jon at radel.com