Raid 1+0

Bernt Hansson bah at bananmonarki.se
Mon Apr 18 19:22:41 UTC 2016

Hello list

My motherboard has a raid chip on it (AMD SB750), so my plan was to use it.
Since i never used the chip for raid, i thought i might try.

So far this has been done.

Set up 2 arrays with 2 discs in each array with raid1 on both.

Boot up freebsd 10.3-R. Both arrays are found

GEOM_RAID: Promise: Disk ada0 state changed from NONE to ACTIVE.
GEOM_RAID: Promise: Subdisk RAID 1   LD  1:0-ada0 state changed from
NONE to ACTIVE.
GEOM_RAID: Promise: Disk ada1 state changed from NONE to ACTIVE.
GEOM_RAID: Promise: Subdisk RAID 1   LD  1:1-ada1 state changed from
NONE to ACTIVE.
GEOM_RAID: Promise: Volume started.
GEOM_RAID: Promise: Volume RAID 1   LD  1 state changed from STARTING to
OPTIMAL.
GEOM_RAID: Promise: Provider raid/r0 for volume RAID 1   LD  1 created.
GEOM_RAID: Promise: Disk ada2 state changed from NONE to ACTIVE.
GEOM_RAID: Promise: Subdisk RAID 1   LD  2:0-ada2 state changed from
NONE to ACTIVE.
GEOM_RAID: Promise: Disk ada3 state changed from NONE to ACTIVE.
GEOM_RAID: Promise: Subdisk RAID 1   LD  2:1-ada3 state changed from
NONE to ACTIVE.
GEOM_RAID: Promise: Volume started.
GEOM_RAID: Promise: Volume RAID 1   LD  2 state changed from STARTING to
OPTIMAL.
GEOM_RAID: Promise: Provider raid/r1 for volume RAID 1   LD  2 created.

Used gstripe to stripe the arrays raid/r0 + r1 into stripe0

Newfs/mount all work. My question, is this a raid 1+0 or 0+1?
More info can be posted if need be.

# graid list
Geom name: Promise
State: OPTIMAL
Metadata: Promise
Providers:
1. Name: raid/r0
    Mediasize: 999999995904 (931G)
    Sectorsize: 512
    Mode: r1w1e2
    Subdisks: ada0 (ACTIVE), ada1 (ACTIVE)
    Dirty: No
    State: OPTIMAL
    Strip: 65536
    Components: 2
    Transformation: RAID1
    RAIDLevel: RAID1
    Label: RAID 1   LD  1
    descr: Promise RAID1 volume
2. Name: raid/r1
    Mediasize: 999999995904 (931G)
    Sectorsize: 512
    Mode: r1w1e2
    Subdisks: ada2 (ACTIVE), ada3 (ACTIVE)
    Dirty: No
    State: OPTIMAL
    Strip: 65536
    Components: 2
    Transformation: RAID1
    RAIDLevel: RAID1
    Label: RAID 1   LD  2
    descr: Promise RAID1 volume
Consumers:
1. Name: ada0
    Mediasize: 1000204886016 (932G)
    Sectorsize: 512
    Mode: r1w1e1
    ReadErrors: 0
    Subdisks: r0(RAID 1   LD  1):0 at 0
    State: ACTIVE (ACTIVE)
2. Name: ada1
    Mediasize: 1000204886016 (932G)
    Sectorsize: 512
    Mode: r1w1e1
    ReadErrors: 0
    Subdisks: r0(RAID 1   LD  1):1 at 0
    State: ACTIVE (ACTIVE)
3. Name: ada2
    Mediasize: 1000204886016 (932G)
    Sectorsize: 512
    Mode: r1w1e1
    ReadErrors: 0
    Subdisks: r1(RAID 1   LD  2):0 at 0
    State: ACTIVE (ACTIVE)
4. Name: ada3
    Mediasize: 1000204886016 (932G)
    Sectorsize: 512
    Mode: r1w1e1
    ReadErrors: 0
    Subdisks: r1(RAID 1   LD  2):1 at 0
    State: ACTIVE (ACTIVE)

  graid status
    Name   Status  Components
raid/r0  OPTIMAL  ada0 (ACTIVE (ACTIVE))
                   ada1 (ACTIVE (ACTIVE))
                   ada2 (ACTIVE (ACTIVE))
                   ada3 (ACTIVE (ACTIVE))
raid/r1  OPTIMAL  ada0 (ACTIVE (ACTIVE))
                   ada1 (ACTIVE (ACTIVE))
                   ada2 (ACTIVE (ACTIVE))
                   ada3 (ACTIVE (ACTIVE))

# gstripe status
           Name  Status  Components
stripe/stripe0      UP  raid/r0
                         raid/r1
root at testbox:/usr/home/bernt # gstripe list
Geom name: stripe0
State: UP
Type: AUTOMATIC
Stripesize: 65536