setting font and keymap in single-user mode in 10.3

Klaus Kaisersberger point-of-entry at outlook.com
Fri Apr 15 20:46:13 UTC 2016

I have trouble getting font and keymap right for a German
iso keyboard (or anything else than standard-US) in single-user mode in 10.3
freshly installed from bootonly.iso:

I 'make kernel'ed an amd64-kernel with the following
settings (I even commented out kbdmux later on in the file):

--------------------

options
SC_DISABLE_KDBKEY

options
SC_DISABLE_REBOOT

options
SC_DFLT_FONT

makeoptions
SC_DFLT_FONT=iso15

options
ATKBD_DFLT_KEYMAP

makeoptions
ATKBD_DFLT_KEYMAP=german.iso.acc

--------------------

/etc/ttys looks like this:

--------------------

console none                            unknown off
insecure

#

ttyv0
"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"
xterm   on  insecure

# Virtual terminals

ttyv1
"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"
xterm   on  insecure

ttyv2
"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"
xterm   on  insecure

ttyv3
"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"
xterm   on  insecure

ttyv4
"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"
xterm   on  insecure

ttyv5
"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"
xterm   on  insecure

ttyv6
"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"
xterm   on  insecure

ttyv7
"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"
xterm   on  insecure

ttyv8
"/usr/local/bin/xdm -nodaemon"
xterm   off insecure

--------------------

While this font (iso15) and keymap (german.iso.acc) work
as desired in virtual consoles, they do not in the single-user console, so that
umlauts yield \366 etc., just as if nothing had been set at all.

'kbdcontrol -l german.iso.acc' and 'vidcontrol -f iso15'
do not produce any errors, but also no noticeable effect in single-user. tty
returns /dev/console, as expected.

I am at a loss now, albeit I am quite sure, that I made
the same settings in 10.2, where it _did_ work. Obviously I made some error this time in 10.3, but I fail to pinpoint it.

If someone knows how to get german.iso.acc and iso15 to
actually work in single-user, most favorably by compiling it into the kernel,
it would really appreciate your suggestions.

----

Klaus