Fonts for vt(4) driver?

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Fri Apr 8 18:23:39 UTC 2016

I'm installing a 10.3-RELEASE system from scratch.

When installing a new system (that I'm not already familiar with)
from scratch, I find that it is Best to consult the Handbook.

The Handbook (Sec 5.4.3) suggests switching to the vt(4) console
driver (to avoid problems when exiting X) by placing the following
line in /boot/loader.conf:

kern.vty=vt

I did that, but now the font being used for all console messages
appears to me to be very... um... weird.  It's all, like double-wide
or something.  I don't like it at all.

How can I get vt(4) to use the same font as was formerly used (by sc(4)?)
on my old 9.X system?