Recovering from X "upgrade" disaster - now what?

Will Parsons varro at nodomain.invalid
Wed Apr 6 21:42:57 UTC 2016

On Thursday, 31 Mar 2016  1:20 AM -0400, Warren Block wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Mar 2016, Will Parsons wrote:
>
>> The hardware in question (Lenovo Edge E520) doesn't appear to be
>> particularly unusual (and was in fact working perfectly well previous
>> to my attempt to "upgrade").
>>
>> Is there anyone who can give me hope of recovering this system?
>> (I *really* don't want to trash it and reinstall.  And even if I did,
>> would there be any reason to think it would work?)
>>
>> I'm desparate for a solution.
>
> Sorry about the late reply, I was hoping someone who had the same
> machine might respond.
>
> The only thing I can suggest to try is adding
>    xrandr --auto
>
> to .xinitrc just before it runs the window manager.  Otherwise, please
> ask on the freebsd-x11 at FreeBSD.org mailing list.  I'm sure it can work,
> just don't know why it is not working now.

Thank you for the suggestions, even if they failed to solve the
problem.

Happily, I have now got X working again, but to do so I had to restore
the entire contents of /usr/local from a backup I had made about 6
months ago.  I think what this means is that my pkg database is out of
sync with the actual contents of /usr/local.  What does this mean as
far as further updating?  I'd just as soon try to resolve the real
problem, but am understandably reluctant to leave my system crippled
again.

--
Will