10.2 graphics problem

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Wed Sep 16 16:13:53 UTC 2015

On Wed, 16 Sep 2015, Polytropon wrote:

>>> This sounds familiar - X, HAL & DBUS fun. :-)
>>>
>>> http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/aei.html
>>
>> That article is somewhat obsolete and can be replaced with "Use vt(4)."
>
> So an addition of the "vt vs. sc" topic would be nice, if
> (and _really_ if) those HAL side effects are no longer
> significant. I think HAL has been deprecated in Linux for
> some time now, and more and more packages are dropping
> it as a dependency or component, and that's a _good_ thing,

The Handbook X chapter needs a rewrite.  I've talked about it, but not
had time to actually do it.

> If I remember correctly, that's DBus's fate as well - being
> deprecated and replaced by something Linux-centric (probably
> a kernel mechanism). Maybe we can take the *Kit stuff with
> that trash in the near future, too? :-)

systemd on many (most?) distributions now, I think.

>> Problems can also be caused by cargo-culting an xorg.conf file, rather
>> than trying with an empty one.
>
> Typically not found in a fresh install. :-)

But carefully added by far too many people. :)

>>> I have configured X to work without HAL and DBUS and PolicyKit
>>> and ConsoleKit and who knows what stuff... but if you're going
>>> to use Xfce, you better keep those dependencies or many things
>>> inside Xfce won't work as expected.
>>
>> Not necessary.  I use dbus with xfce, but HAL is not needed and the rest
>> need little or no configuration.
>
> Nice to hear that. Was about time. :-)
>
> I'd still be interested if system power control and automount
> capabilities still require fiddling with the *Kit's XML files
> scattered across the /usr/local subtree. :-)

Entries are needed for polkit to enable shutdown.  The pkg-message shows
them.  There are several ways to go about automounting, none of which
I've bothered with in the last couple of years.