Replacing Drive with SSD

krad kraduk at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 08:18:45 UTC 2015

a bit late to this i know but when I have under over provisioned, I did it
by getting the drives to report a lower amount of storage than they have
rather than using the non partitioned way of doing it. This guarantees the
drives firmware knows it free space much more effectively than the
partition method which doesnt mean a lot to the drive. I used something
like the below just after doing a secure erase on the drive to reduce the
reported size from say 120GB to 100GB (this was done from the gparted
livecd, as i couldnt find out howto do it within BSD back then)

hdparm -Np281323627 --yes-i-know-what-i-am-doing /dev/sdb