Still having network/Postscript Printer problem

Dutch Ingraham stoa at gmx.us
Sun Sep 13 12:35:04 UTC 2015

On Sun, Sep 13, 2015 at 12:53:21AM -0600, reg at dwf.com wrote:
> I am having nothing but trouble in trying to get printing to work under
> FreeBSD with my HPLJ4100.  The printer works find from linux, and I might
> just give up and use the 'cups' implemenetation under FreeBSD if I can't
> get lpd to work.
>
> Here is where I stand.
>
> I have the environment variabalee
>
> setenv PRINTER=HPLJ4100
>
> dns sees the printer
>
> % nslookup HPLJ4100
> Server:         127.0.0.1
> Address:        127.0.0.1#53
>
> Non-authoritative answer:
> Name:   HPLJ4100.dwf.com
> Address: 192.168.64.30
>
> I have
>
> lpd_enable="YES"
>
> in /etc/rc.conf
>
> I have set
>
> service lpd start
>
> numerous times, and lpd is running.
>
> my printcap keeps changing, but currently reads
>
> HP-DP:\
>         :rm=9100 at HPLJ4100:\
>         :rp=raw:\
>         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/HP-DP:\
>         :lf=/var/spool/lpd/HP-DP/log:\
>         :af=/var/spool/lpd/HP-DP/acct:\
>         :mx#0:\
>         :sh:
>
> when I do a
>
> lpr sum.ps
>
> of a postscript file, I see
>
> root at FreeBSD:/home/reg # lpr sum.ps
> lpr: HPLJ4100: unknown printer
>
> if I take the 9100@ out of the printcap file, viz
>
> HP-DP:\
>         :rm=HPLJ4100:\
>         :rp=raw:\
>         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/HP-DP:\
>         :lf=/var/spool/lpd/HP-DP/log:\
>         :af=/var/spool/lpd/HP-DP/acct:\
>         :mx#0:\
>         :sh:
>
> I see for the lpr
>
> root at FreeBSD:/home/reg # lpr sum.ps
> lpr: HPLJ4100: unknown printer
>
> so thats the same.
>
> I have tried about a thousand vaiations, anc always see
>
> root at FreeBSD:/home/reg # lpq
> lpq: printer not found
>
> I must be doing something basic that is wrong, but I dont see ir.
> Someone tell me what Im doing wrong, this can't be this hard.
>
>                                 Reg Clemens
>                                 clemens at dwf.com

A few observations/questions:

For all of the following, I'm assuming you are using DHCP to access a
network printer, correct?

1. What does your printer say its hostname is?  I.e., when you print your
printer's configuration pages from your printer, under the TCP/IP section,
what is the Host Name?

2. I would set the default name of the printer to "lp."  See bullet
point number 1 in section 9.5.1 of the Handbook.  You need to use the -P
switch to print with a different printer name.

3. It appears as though you are missing the printer name in the second
line of your printcap, viz:

    lp:\        #printer name
        :lp=:rm=printer HOSTname or ip or port:\
        etc.

See bullet point number 2, Network section, of the same section of the Handbook.
I have a 4050, which is very close to the 4100, and use the
following first two lines right now, with a fixed IP:

    lp:\
        :lp=:rm=192.168.0.240:\

I've also used, with this same printer, with DHCP and the HOSTNAME as
indicated in the printer's configuration pages:

    lp:\
        :lp=:rm=LaserJet:\