followup storage question

William A. Mahaffey III wam at hiwaay.net
Fri Sep 11 15:03:37 UTC 2015

On 09/11/15 09:31, Warren Block wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Sep 2015, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
>
>> The Wiki page
>> https://wiki.freebsd.org/RootOnZFS/GPTZFSBoot/9.0-RELEASE illustrates
>> using gnop to enforce 4K alignment of gpt partitions for subsequent
>> use by ZFS. However the gpart commands also use the '-a 4k'
>> arguments, aligning partitions on 4k boundaries as I understand
>> things. Is the gnop command also necessary ? TIA & have a nice weekend.
>
> These are two separate things.  gnop(8) is (was) used to force ZFS to
> use a 4K block size.  That just means it transfers data in multiples
> of 4K, not necessarily aligned with the 4K sectors on the drive.
> gpart(8)'s -a flag is used to force partitions to begin in alignment
> with the 4K sectors on the drive.

Hmmmm .... OK, however if I carefully 'gpart -a 4k' the underlying
partitions aligned, then wouldn't the resulting ZFS above also be
aligned ? I ask because the 2nd system I will be setting up in the next
few weeks will probably use a RAIDZ1 on 6-8 partitions, & I have it on
pretty good authority that you want RAID5-type storage properly aligned
on the underlying drives or partitions. Thanks & TIA & have a nice weekend.

--

	William A. Mahaffey III