followup storage question

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Fri Sep 11 14:25:33 UTC 2015

On Fri, 11 Sep 2015, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:

> The Wiki page https://wiki.freebsd.org/RootOnZFS/GPTZFSBoot/9.0-RELEASE
> illustrates using gnop to enforce 4K alignment of gpt partitions for
> subsequent use by ZFS. However the gpart commands also use the '-a 4k'
> arguments, aligning partitions on 4k boundaries as I understand things. Is
> the gnop command also necessary ? TIA & have a nice weekend.

These are two separate things.  gnop(8) is (was) used to force ZFS to
use a 4K block size.  That just means it transfers data in multiples of
4K, not necessarily aligned with the 4K sectors on the drive.
gpart(8)'s -a flag is used to force partitions to begin in alignment
with the 4K sectors on the drive.