GCC question

William A. Mahaffey III wam at hiwaay.net
Mon Sep 7 12:23:17 UTC 2015

On 09/07/15 02:30, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> from Lowell Gilbert:
>
>> The full form of the documentation is in an info file. Type "info gcc"
>> to get it. If you use emacs, you'll find its info browser is better than
>> the command line version. In fact, if you don't use emacs, you might be
>> best off with an online version, such as from
>>      https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/
> There is a port, misc/pinfo, that I find helpful for reading an info file in the absence of KDE and Konqueror that I had years back with Linux Slackware.
>
> Otherwise, I find info user-hostile, plain text would be better.  Many times, I went through an info file as straight text with "less" and found that better than info.
>
> Tom

I definitely 2nd that motion, I do *NOT* like info at all, man pages are
my preference (or plain text, or *maybe* HTML), or else decently
formatted online help from the CLI, i.e. 'gcc -h <topic>' or 'gcc --help
<topic>' .... A little more effort for the developer, but *FAR*
preferable to info for me.

--

	William A. Mahaffey III