Can't print to HP LJ 1020 using foo2zjs and CUPS

Alnis Morics alnis.m at mail.com
Wed Oct 21 09:36:33 UTC 2015

On 10/11/2015 10:31 AM, Alnis Morics wrote:

> On 10/10/2015 12:58, Bernt Hansson wrote:
>> On 2015-10-09 22:02, Alnis Morics wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to set up HP LaserJet 1020 on 10.2-RELEASE with CUPS and
>>> foo2zjs. That worked on previous versions of FreeBSD, although there
>>> were changes with devices to use (I gues it was ulpt to ugen and
>>> back to
>>> ulpt in 10.0).
>>>
>>> But now none of them works for me.
>>> If I use ulpt, the moment I plug in the printer or turn it on:
>>>
>>> ugen3.2: <Hewlett-Packard> at usbus3 (disconnected)
>>> ugen3.2: <Hewlett-Packard> at usbus3
>>> ugen3.2: <Hewlett-Packard> at usbus3 (disconnected)
>>> ugen3.2: <Hewlett-Packard> at usbus3
>>> ulpt0: <Hewlett-Packard HP LaserJet 1020, class 0/0, rev 2.00/1.00,
>>> addr
>>> 2> on usbus3
>>> ulpt0: using bi-directional mode
>>> ulpt0: offline
>>>
>>> CUPS doesn't find this printer. I can still add it manually but when I
>>> try to print, nothing happens, and there are no error messages. I found
>>> out that it is exactly after the firmware is downloaded that ulpt0
>>> turns
>>> offline (should it?).
>>>
>>> If I use ugen (rebuilt CUPS with LIBUSB, moved away
>>> /boot/kernel/ulpt.ko), then CUPS detects the printer but no firmware
>>> gets downloaded, and, of course, I can't print. When I try to send the
>>> firmware manually
>>>
>>> cat /usr/share/foo2zjs/firmware/sihp1020.dl > /dev/ugen3.2 (or
>>> /dev/usb/3.2.0)
>>>
>>> the result is an input/output error.
>>>
>>> Any ideas of what might be wrong or how it should work now?
>>>

>>> Permissions in /etc/devfs.rules:
>>> # Begin printers_foo2zjs (added by foo2zjs/freebsd-install)
>>> [printers_foo2zjs=42]
>>> add path 'ulpt*' mode 0660 group cups
>>> add path 'unlpt*' mode 0660 group cups
>>> add path 'ugen*' mode 0660 group cups
>>> add path 'usb/*' mode 0770 group cups
>>> # End printers_foo2zjs (added by foo2zjs/freebsd-install)
>>
>> Try unlpt instead of ulpt.
> Thank you, Bernt. unlpt results in the same as ulpt: it is possible to
> send the firmware but nothing happens when I try to print to unlpt.

Ok, I rebuilt the kernel without ulpt.ko, as Klaus suggested but the
results are the same:
 From dmesg:
[..]
ugen4.3: <Hewlett-Packard>

Then
# cat sihp1020.dl > /dev/ugen4.3
cat: stdout: Input/output error

If I use
arm2hpdl /usr/local/share/foo2zjs/firmware/sihp1020.img > /dev/ugen4.3

then no error message is rendered but the printer doesn't reinitialize
anyway. The same if I use /dev/usb/4.3.0 instead of /dev/usb4.3.

Nothing is connected to any other usb ports at the moment.

So, after sending the firmware to ulpt (if it is built), ulpt turns
offline, and sending the firmware to ugen results on input/output error.

I tried this on two machines with the same printer. The printer, however
works ok on Debian with foo2zjs and with exactly the same firmware
(checked with md5). FreeBSD version is 10.2-RELEASE-p5

What could be done about this?

-Alnis