Can't print to HP LJ 1020 using foo2zjs and CUPS

Alnis Morics alnis.m at mail.com
Sun Oct 11 07:32:11 UTC 2015

On 10/10/2015 12:58, Bernt Hansson wrote:
> On 2015-10-09 22:02, Alnis Morics wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to set up HP LaserJet 1020 on 10.2-RELEASE with CUPS and
>> foo2zjs. That worked on previous versions of FreeBSD, although there
>> were changes with devices to use (I gues it was ulpt to ugen and back to
>> ulpt in 10.0).
>>
>> But now none of them works for me.
>> If I use ulpt, the moment I plug in the printer or turn it on:
>>
>> ugen3.2: <Hewlett-Packard> at usbus3 (disconnected)
>> ugen3.2: <Hewlett-Packard> at usbus3
>> ugen3.2: <Hewlett-Packard> at usbus3 (disconnected)
>> ugen3.2: <Hewlett-Packard> at usbus3
>> ulpt0: <Hewlett-Packard HP LaserJet 1020, class 0/0, rev 2.00/1.00, addr
>> 2> on usbus3
>> ulpt0: using bi-directional mode
>> ulpt0: offline
>>
>> CUPS doesn't find this printer. I can still add it manually but when I
>> try to print, nothing happens, and there are no error messages. I found
>> out that it is exactly after the firmware is downloaded that ulpt0 turns
>> offline (should it?).
>>
>> If I use ugen (rebuilt CUPS with LIBUSB, moved away
>> /boot/kernel/ulpt.ko), then CUPS detects the printer but no firmware
>> gets downloaded, and, of course, I can't print. When I try to send the
>> firmware manually
>>
>> cat /usr/share/foo2zjs/firmware/sihp1020.dl > /dev/ugen3.2 (or
>> /dev/usb/3.2.0)
>>
>> the result is an input/output error.
>>
>> Any ideas of what might be wrong or how it should work now?
>>

>> Permissions in /etc/devfs.rules:
>> # Begin printers_foo2zjs (added by foo2zjs/freebsd-install)
>> [printers_foo2zjs=42]
>> add path 'ulpt*' mode 0660 group cups
>> add path 'unlpt*' mode 0660 group cups
>> add path 'ugen*' mode 0660 group cups
>> add path 'usb/*' mode 0770 group cups
>> # End printers_foo2zjs (added by foo2zjs/freebsd-install)
>
> Try unlpt instead of ulpt.
Thank you, Bernt. unlpt results in the same as ulpt: it is possible to
send the firmware but nothing happens when I try to print to unlpt.

Klaus, how exactly did you manage to build the kernel without ulpt? I
first tried to specify in /etc/make.conf:

WITHOUT_MODULES = usb/ulpt

then

MODULES_OVERRIDE = 3dfx 3dfx_linux Makefile Makefile.inc aac aacraid
accf_data accf_dns accf_http acl_nfs4 acl_posix1e acpi ae aesni age agp
aha ahb ahci aic aic7xxx aio alc ale alq amdsbwd amdtemp amr an aout apm
ar71xx arcmsr arcnet asmc asr ata ath ath_ahb ath_pci autofs auxio bce
bfe bge bios bktr bm bridgestp bwi bwn bxe cam canbepm canbus cardbus
carp cas cbb cc cd9660 cd9660_iconv ce cfi ciss cm cmx coff coretemp cp
cpsw cpuctl cpufreq crypto cryptodev cs ct ctau ctl cx cxgb cxgbe dc
dcons dcons_crom de digi dpms dpt drm drm2 dtb dtrace dummynet ed elink
em en ep epic esp et ex exca ext2fs fatm fdc fdescfs fe filemon firewire
firmware fuse fxp gem geom glxiic glxsb gpio hatm hifn hme hpt27xx
hptiop hptmv hptnr hptrr hwpmc hyperv i2c ibcore ibcs2 ichwd ida ie
if_bridge if_disc if_edsc if_ef if_epair if_faith if_gif if_gre if_lagg
if_me if_ndis if_stf if_tap if_tun if_vlan if_vxlan igb iir
imgact_binmisc io ip6_mroute_mod ip_mroute_mod ipdivert ipfilter ipfw
ipfw_nat ipmi ipoib ips ipw ipwfw isci iscsi iscsi_initiator isp ispfw
iwi iwifw iwn iwnfw ix ixgb ixgbe ixl ixlv ixv jme joy kbdmux kgssapi
kgssapi_krb5 khelp krpc ksyms le lge libalias libiconv libmbpool
libmchain lindev linprocfs linsysfs linux lmc lpt mac_biba
mac_bsdextended mac_ifoff mac_lomac mac_mls mac_none mac_partition
mac_portacl mac_seeotheruids mac_stub mac_test malo mcd md mem mfi mii
mlx mlx4 mlx4ib mlxen mly mmc mmcsd mpr mps mpt mqueue mrsas msdosfs
msdosfs_iconv mse msk mthca mvs mwl mwlfw mxge my nand nandfs nandsim
ncv ndis netfpga10g netgraph netmap nfe nfs_common nfscl nfsclient
nfscommon nfsd nfslock nfslockd nfsserver nfssvc nge nmdm nsp ntb nullfs
nvd nve nvme nvram nxge oce opensolaris padlock patm pccard pcfclock pcn
pf pflog pfsync plip pmc pms powermac_nvram ppbus ppc ppi pps procfs
pseudofs pst pty puc qlxgb qlxgbe qlxge ral ralfw random rc rc4 rdma re
reiserfs rl rndtest rp s3 safe sbni scc scd scsi_low sdhci sdhci_pci sem
send sf sfxge sge siba_bwn siftr siis sio sis sk smbfs sn snc snp sound
speaker splash sppp ste stg stge streams svr4 sym syscons sysvipc ti tl
tmpfs toecore tpm trm twa twe tws tx txp uart ubsec ubser uchcom ucycom
udf udf_iconv ufs unionfs utopia vesa vge viawd virtio vkbd vmm vmware
vpo vr vte vx vxge wb wbwd wi wlan wlan_acl wlan_amrr wlan_ccmp
wlan_rssadapt wlan_tkip wlan_wep wlan_xauth wpi wpifw wtap x86bios xe xl
zfs zlib usb/at91dci usb/atmegadci usb/atp usb/aue usb/avr32dci usb/axe
usb/axge usb/cdce usb/cue usb/dwc_otg usb/ehci usb/g_audio
usb/g_keyboard usb/g_modem usb/g_mouse usb/ipheth usb/kue usb/mos
usb/musb usb/ohci usb/quirk usb/rsu usb/rsufw usb/rue usb/rum usb/run
usb/runfw usb/smsc usb/template usb/u3g usb/uark usb/uath usb/ubsa
usb/ubser usb/uchcom usb/ucom usb/ucycom usb/udav usb/udbp usb/uep
usb/uether usb/ufm usb/ufoma usb/uftdi usb/ugensa usb/uhci usb/uhid
usb/uhso usb/uipaq usb/ukbd usb/uled usb/umass usb/umcs usb/umct
usb/umodem usb/umoscom usb/ums usb/upgt usb/uplcom usb/ural usb/urio
usb/urndis usb/urtw usb/urtwn usb/urtwnfw usb/usb usb/usfs usb/usie
usb/uslcom usb/uss820dci usb/uvisor usb/uvscom usb/wsp usb/xhci usb/zyd

(i.e., all directories in /usr/src/sys/modules except usb, plus all
subdirectories of usb, except usb/ulpt)

but in both cases ulpt.ko got installed.

-Alnis