Ethernet Errors

al plant noc at hdk5.net
Tue Oct 13 20:07:38 UTC 2015

Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On 11/10/2015 11:14, Doug Hardie wrote:
>
>> I have 4 servers and a couple other devices on two ethernet LANS.
>> There is no routing between the LANs.  One is for internet
>> connections and the other for purely internal traffic.  Both the LANs
>> are 100 Mbps switches (different models).  One of the servers is
>> showing ethernet errors on both interfaces.  One interface has more
>> input errors than output, and the other is reverse.  None of the
>> other servers or devices show any errors ever.  It seems a bit
>> strange that two switches would have errors on one port or that one
>> server would have errors on two different NICs (different
>> manufacturers) starting at about the same time.  The errors do
>> continue to build up, but very slowly.  This server does see quite a
>> bit of traffic, but its not as much as it used to be when there were
>> no errors.  I am at a loss to explain what is going on or where the
>> problem might be.  Any ideas?  Unfortunately these servers are a 3
>> hour drive away at 1 AM.  It’s considerably longer during the day as
>> I have to drive through Los Angeles.
>>

> Errors in 'netstat -i' output are frequently due to the cabling
> connected to that network port.  The cables are also about the cheapest
> components that could be affected.  I've seen this sort of thing happen
> when an ethernet cable gets kinked, when the ethernet plugs aren't
> properly pushed home or even when it is cable-tied in place too tightly.
>
> Get that checked out and maybe try swapping out ethernet cables before
> attempting any more expensive repairs -- that should be something you
> can get your colo people to look at without you needing to go there in
> person.
>
> 	Cheers,
>
> 	Matthew

You may want to check for corroded connections  on the cables and cards.
It does sound like hardware.

:(

... Al
        ~ Al Plant - Honolulu, Hawaii - Phone: 808-284-2740 ~
                 Supporting FreeBSD - UNIX Computer O/S
              email: noc at hdk5.net  email: alplant.att.net
."All that's really worth doing is what we do for others" - Lewis Carrol