cryptodev HW (aesni) vs software

RW rwmaillists at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 23 17:48:37 UTC 2015

On Mon, 23 Nov 2015 14:53:26 +0200
Ivan Klymenko wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Nov 2015 10:38:47 -0600
> Brandon J. Wandersee <brandon.wandersee at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Ivan Klymenko writes:
> >
> > > I hope the problem has now become more visible?
> >
> > No. State what you believe the "problem" to be. We need to know how
> > what actually happened is different from what you expected to
> > happen.
>
> Problem 1
> At two loaded modules cryptodev and aesni to encrypt selected slower

cryptodev is known to be slower than userland acceleration.

> Problem 2
> Without any loaded modules cryptodev and aesni encryption occurs at
> the same rate as in the loaded module aesni - which suggests that
> hardware encryption is absolutely not working.

If I'm understanding you correctly, it's also consistent with both cases
using userland acceleration.

The aesni kernel module provides AES-NI support for crypto/cryptodev in
the kernel, not in userland.

> Problem 3
> In the best case FreeBSD inferior Linux in encryption by as much as
> 23% at exactly the same hardware

I think hardware would be more than 23% faster than software.