Opening dmg files

R Skinner rocky at herveybayaustralia.com.au
Tue Nov 17 23:49:32 UTC 2015

On 18/11/2015 00:25, Shane Ambler wrote:
> On 17/11/2015 21:39, R Skinner wrote:
>> I'm checking out downloading the video files for the FreeBSD kernel
>> course offered by McKusik, and I downloaded an encrypted file which I
>> was able to decrypt, but I still can't actually play it. I don't believe
>> I would have downloaded 650Mb of nothing, so how do I play it?
>>
>> The format is .dmg which is apparently a mac cd format, but I can't view
>> the files in it, and mplayer and others don't recognise it either.
>>

> It has been a few years but I recall .dmg being like an .iso but with
> hfs+ structure. Try using it as a file backed mdconfig device and mount
> using sysutils/hfsutils
>
> sysutils/hfsexplorer is a java app that claims to read most dmg images.
>
> You could also contact McKusik and suggest a bsd friendly version.

In theory, this struck me as a great idea - I installed hfsexplorer and
tried opening the file. UNKNOWN type!

I would suggest that this should work in most cases, so for anyone
looking for an answer on standard dmg mac files: this is probably it.

I just have no idea what this file is supposed to be. In his
instructions it says it should play in a software dvd player or just
burn to dvd, but so far none of that has worked. I'll admit I don't burn
dvd's lately as there doesn't seem much point - I'm always trying to rip
them to the hdd anyway, and I don't even know where I could buy them
these days any more. The dvd burners I do have collect dust, and my new
systems don't even have them... its like sd and the cloud is the future
maan!

The irony of it is that this course is meant to promote FreeBSD and its
development, and yet I can't seem to use the file on it! I think I will
have to try contacting him, but I'm not sure thats on the site...