Opening dmg files

Shane Ambler FreeBSD at ShaneWare.Biz
Tue Nov 17 14:30:54 UTC 2015

On 17/11/2015 21:39, R Skinner wrote:
> I'm checking out downloading the video files for the FreeBSD kernel
> course offered by McKusik, and I downloaded an encrypted file which I
> was able to decrypt, but I still can't actually play it. I don't believe
> I would have downloaded 650Mb of nothing, so how do I play it?
>
> The format is .dmg which is apparently a mac cd format, but I can't view
> the files in it, and mplayer and others don't recognise it either.

It has been a few years but I recall .dmg being like an .iso but with
hfs+ structure. Try using it as a file backed mdconfig device and mount
using sysutils/hfsutils

sysutils/hfsexplorer is a java app that claims to read most dmg images.

You could also contact McKusik and suggest a bsd friendly version.

--
FreeBSD - the place to B...Software Developing

Shane Ambler