Restored : Aps filter printer stopped working.

al plant noc at hdk5.net
Sun Nov 15 01:13:25 UTC 2015

Polytropon wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Nov 2015 15:47:17 -1000, al plant wrote:
>
>> Aloha list ,
>>
>> I have a HP Laser jet 1100 working for 10 plus years no problem. Just
>> changed out a power cable on printer Free BSD 8  printer box .
>> It stopped working now. Tried several parts swaps . APS Filter software
>> gives me.  error "1 entry in spool area".  "Waiting for lp to become
>> ready (off line)" Only 2nd time I ever had a problem with this box.  I
>> cant recall what causes this  error.
>>

> This doesn't look like a printer filter error, but more like
> a spool error. Can you provide the output of "lpq" for that
> printer queue (including the printer status), as well as the
> recent entries in /var/log/lpd-errs?
>
> Additionally, which printer spooler do you use - the one
> provided by the OS (lpr), or the common 3rd party CUPS?
> (I assume it's lpr, but still the question is valid.)
>

>> APS is from Andreas Klemm in Germany.
>>

> Correct. I've been using apsfilter for many many years with
> laser printers and dotmatrix printers (yes, I actually need
> those "museum pieces" for work). Then suddenly Opera required
> CUPS for printing, as did other applications, so I moved to
> CUPS, and things stopped working. :-)
>

>> This is a network printer for 3 boxes.  Any ideas would be a help.
>>

> Check the printer settings on its panel as well: Make sure
> it can be reached (usually "ping" will show, and its name
> must be in "arp -a"). Also have a look at the printer ports
> and its "personality".
>
> I'm using a HP Laserjet 4000 DN here for almost 10 years, it's
> the successor of a very successful HP Laserjet 4 that worked
> successfully for 15 years. :-)

Thanks for the help.

lpq spool not showing after the server.

It was a Hardware Issue.  When we moved equipment around a clamp tie
pulled apart between print server and printer. Cables separated at joint
behind a desk where you couldnt see. Crawled under and I fixed  the
clamp with zip ties after spraying with silicone so it wont corrode.

        ~ Al Plant - Honolulu, Hawaii - Phone: 808-284-2740 ~
                 Supporting FreeBSD - UNIX Computer O/S
              email: noc at hdk5.net  email: alplant.att.net
."All that's really worth doing is what we do for others" - Lewis Carrol