/usr/sbin/pkg broken after 10.1 to 10.2 upgrade

Patrick Gibson gibblertron at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 07:35:50 UTC 2015

On Tue, Nov 3, 2015 at 3:42 AM, Matthew Seaman <matthew at freebsd.org> wrote:

> Hmmm.... while pkg(8) uses UCL, it has its own copy of the UCL code
> built into itself and doesn't need libucl.so.1. You cannot get this
> error message from pkg(8).
>
> However the pkg(7) shim built into the system as /usr/sbin/pkg *does*
> use /usr/lib/private/libucl.so.1 and that is what is printing out the
> error message you're seeing.
>
> This means that your attempt to upgrade has not completed
> satisfactorily: you are missing necessary bits of the base system.
> Concentrate on fixing that first.

Yep, it's pretty clear the update did not complete successfully
(despite not complaining at all). I downloaded and manually installed
files from base.txz in the 10.2-RELEASE distribution. /usr/sbin/pkg is
no longer complaining. The INDEX-OLD and INDEX-NEW files left from the
10.1 -> 10.2 freebsd-update process had no mention of
/usr/lib/private/libucl.so.1, though there were entries for other libs
in that private dir. Bizarre! I've had no previous issues doing
release updates with freebsd-update before (besides the manual merging
of config files that have different commit version messages)...