System Compile Failure

Chris Maness chris at chrismaness.com
Fri Mar 27 16:05:33 UTC 2015

I am having trouble compiling the system and kernel for 10.1-RELEASE
on my server.  It exits with a failure on the base compilation and
kernel.

As a solution I compiled everything on another system then tarball the
whole src tree.  However, when I go to install the kernel  via #make
installkernel, it complains that no kernel has been compiled (even
though it was before I changed systems).  Now the only thing that
comes to mind is that this is an AMD64 system.  Maybe the install
scripts know this and want to install a customized kernel for AMD64.
However, I only compiled the generic kernel.  However, that is what is
running the system now, an i386 generic kernel.

I prefer src installs because of the mergemaster stages.  I like how
quickly I can merge files with it.

I have found an article about converting a system to AMD64, but it was
a bit on the old side.  I am not sure if it was still relevant.  It
was written circa 9.0.

Appreciate the help, I spent about six hours trying my own little
fixes to no avail.

Regards,
Chris Maness