tried everything (Swap Caps_Lock and Control_L) nothing works!

Chris Hill chris at monochrome.org
Wed Mar 25 14:13:28 UTC 2015

On Wed, 25 Mar 2015, William Bulley wrote:

> This is really annoying.  I know I have used xmodmap(1) in the past
> and it served me well.  I now have a Dell keyboard on a Dell system
> and I can't get the caps lock key swapped with the left control key.
>
> Here is what I have now (yes, both -- belt and suspenders...):
>
> unix% head -6 $HOME/.xmodmaprc
> remove Lock = Caps_Lock
> remove Control = Control_L
> keysym Control_L = Caps_Lock
> keysym Caps_Lock = Control_L
> add Lock = Caps_Lock
> add Control = Control_L
> unix% grep modmap .xinitrc
> /usr/local/bin/xmodmap $HOME/.xmodmaprc
> unix% grep swap /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>        Option      "XkbOptions" "ctrl:swapcaps"
> unix% pkg info | grep xorg-server
> xorg-server-1.14.7_2,1         X.Org X server and related programs

The filename might be case sensitive. Here's mine, which works. Note the
capital X.

chris at tripel$ more /usr/home/chris/.Xmodmap
! Straight from the man page...
!
! Swap Caps_Lock and Control_L
!
remove Lock = Caps_Lock
remove Control = Control_L
keysym Control_L = Caps_Lock
keysym Caps_Lock = Control_L
add Lock = Caps_Lock
add Control = Control_L

And...

chris at tripel$ grep odmap .xinitrc
usermodmap=$HOME/.Xmodmap
sysmodmap=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/.Xmodmap
if [ -f $sysmodmap ]; then
     xmodmap $sysmodmap
if [ -f $usermodmap ]; then
     xmodmap $usermodmap

I don't have an xorg.conf.

HTH.

Chris Hill               chris at monochrome.org
**                     [ Busy Expunging </> ]