KDE broken after general upgrade (FBSD 10.0)

Gene fbsd at brightstar.bomgardner.net
Wed Mar 25 14:11:05 UTC 2015

Hello all:

I recently upgraded packages on my 10.0 AMD64 sytem (pkg upgrade). Afterwards,
xorg started up normally and could be used, but KDE wouldn't run. Among the
things I've tried:

- Check .xinitrc: "#exec /usr/local/bin/startkde"
- completely deleting ~/.kde4
completely re-installing KDE4:  "pkg install -f x11/kde4"

now xorg is still ok and "startx" results in a white screen that simply says:

"Uh-oh. Something went wrong. Log out and try again." Of course I can't
actually log out so I connect via ssh and reboot.

Running KDM and logging in just jumps to a terminal window after logging in.

Any ideas where to continue troubleshooting?

Thanks