Possible (or smart) to put freebsd-boot on USB stick for root-on-ZFS?

Erich Dollansky erichsfreebsdlist at alogt.com
Wed Mar 25 01:41:30 UTC 2015

Hi,

On Tue, 24 Mar 2015 16:09:44 +1100
Jason Birch <jbirch at jbirch.net> wrote:

> I'll only be mirroring two SSDs on 10.1, but it made me consider the
> possibility of having the freebsd-boot partition on a USB stick rather
> than on each drive itself for basically the following reason:
>
> Should an SSD die, I'd need to say "boot from this other device" to
> get my system back up and running, do the original partitioning magic

I install since some time on all media a bootable FreeBSD system. Of
course, the space is mostly wasted but when the time comes ...

This concept has another advantage. I can start new hardware
immediately, mount the source via NFS and do then an install from the
sources.

At the end, having the system on every media gives you more flexibility.

Erich