pkg question upgrade question

doug at safeport.com doug at safeport.com
Mon Mar 9 21:31:28 UTC 2015

On Mon, 9 Mar 2015, Mike Clarke wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Mar 2015 21:31:33 +0100
> Julien Cigar <jcigar at ulb.ac.be> wrote:
>
>> 1) tigervnc depends on graphics/png (direct dependency)
>> 2) you did "pkg upgrade tigervnc"
>> 3) there was an upgrade for graphics/png too, with a shared library bump
>> 4) pkg upgraded tigervnc, png, and other dependencies
>>
>> AFAIK pkg doesn't handle this scenario properly as reverse dependencies
>> of graphics/png aren't upgraded at the same time... and you end up with
>> a semi-"broken" system :(
>>
>> I hope this will be fixed in a close future as this is pretty annoying
>> and limiting
>
> In the meantime the way to avoid this is to run pkg upgrade before
> installing any new package.
>
> It's quite likely that running pkg upgrade now will rectify the problem.

Thank guys. pkg was up-to-date. The message I got said it was going to install
the single package. The install process have no wanring. I later hit the problem
when I used one of the affected packages. As I was 1500 miles from the
workstation and xfce was included in the 138 packages a 'pkg upgrade' was going
to hit, upgrading was not in the cards. I could use the system just not any of
the 68 packages that were invalidated.

A warning would have been nice. I believe as, I have no need to have the latest
stuff, if I can find libpng15.so.15, I will see how that works. Going with a new
system is probably quicker that the upgrade process will be.

I thought be point of having an installed DB on my system is that pkg could have
said what was going to be deinstalled. I did not need tigerVNC that badly. If
anyone knows how to check for this issue that would be as good as a fix.