security patch vs. binary upgrade

Michael B. Eichorn ike at michaeleichorn.com
Sun Jun 21 12:55:52 UTC 2015

On Sun, 2015-06-21 at 12:43 +0200, Lev wrote:
> Hello List,
>

> I installed FreeBSD 10.1 on my home server, and it runs as expected.
>
> I don't really understand one thing:
>
> What is the difference between
>
> pkg update/upgrade
pkg is the binary update system (binaries here are often refered to as
packages) for the ports tree. It contains all of the ports that can be
distributed as binaries with default options. It is not recommended at
this time to mix binary packages with source installed ports. If you want
to use packages but want non-default options you can use poudriere and
host your own repository pretty easily.

> freebsd-update fetch
> freebsd-update install
freebsd-update is the binary update system for the parts of the system
maintained by the FreeBSD developers. This provides updates for the
kernel and base system (the default install). FreeBSD can also be updated
from source, in fact if you move to -STABLE or -CURRENT source updates
are the only option.

> If I patch my sustem with security patches, and then upgrade the binary
> packages will the patches lost?
Binary upgrades contain all FreeBSD provided security patches.

> Btw... freebsd-update install writes this:
>
> Installing
> updates...install: ///usr/src/contrib/file/magic/Magdir/kerberos: No
> such file or directory
> install: ///usr/src/contrib/file/magic/Magdir/meteorological: No such
> file or directory install: ///usr/src/contrib/file/magic/Magdir/qt: No
> such file or directory
> install: ///usr/src/crypto/openssl/util/mkbuildinf.pl: No such file or
> directory
IIRC this is the result of a glitch in the 10-RELEASE installer or media.
It didn't install the source code for the base system in /usr/src. If you
want the source code download it from svn and put it in /usr/src. If you
dont need it you can tell freebsd-update not to update the source code by
removing src from the components list in /etc/freebsd-update.conf.