security patch vs. binary upgrade

Lev leventelist at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 10:43:58 UTC 2015

Hello List,

I installed FreeBSD 10.1 on my home server, and it runs as expected.

I don't really understand one thing:

What is the difference between

pkg update/upgrade

and

freebsd-update fetch
freebsd-update install

If I patch my sustem with security patches, and then upgrade the binary
packages will the patches lost?

Btw... freebsd-update install writes this:

Installing
updates...install: ///usr/src/contrib/file/magic/Magdir/kerberos: No such file or directory
install: ///usr/src/contrib/file/magic/Magdir/meteorological: No such file or directory install: ///usr/src/contrib/file/magic/Magdir/qt: No
such file or directory
install: ///usr/src/crypto/openssl/util/mkbuildinf.pl: No such file or directory

Is this okay?

Thanks,
Lev

--