ZFS booting from MBR Question

Bradley T. Hughes bradleythughes at fastmail.fm
Wed Jun 17 17:57:54 UTC 2015

> On 17 Jun 2015, at 16:32, Paul Kraus <paul at kraus-haus.org> wrote:
>
> I have not been able to find any documentation for how to write all the components of the boot loader for ZFS/MBR manually. Does someone here know what bsdinstall is doing under the covers ?
>
> I am assuming the issue is the phase 1 boot loader on ada<n>s1 partition, but am not sure how to write that correctly, and I am afraid of overwriting the one good one I have.

I recently went looking for the same documentation. The zfsboot(8) manpage turned out to be what I wanted. It's not in 10.1-RELEASE, but you can find it in 10.1-STABLE:

https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=zfsboot&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+10.1-stable&arch=default&format=html

There's instructions on how to install zfsboot(8) on whole disks (what I wanted) or MBR slices (what you want).

Hope that helps :)

--
Bradley T. Hughes
bradleythughes at fastmail.fm