freebsd-update error ln: ///rescue/[: No such file or directory

Paul Macdonald paul at ifdnrg.com
Mon Jun 15 17:02:31 UTC 2015

On 15/06/2015 17:48, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> Paul Macdonald <paul at ifdnrg.com> writes:
>
>> I just saw a large list of errors for freebsd-update of the form
>>
>> Installing updates...
>>
>> ln: ///rescue/[: No such file or directory
>> ln: ///rescue/[: No such file or directory
>>
>> is this something to panic about?
> Panic, no. But it is a problem; your /rescue tree is basically unpopulated.
>
> You didn't hand-delete "/rescue/[", did you?
>
> I'm not sure what the best way to re-install rescue would be, but you
> definitely want to do so. You might go years without needing it, but it
> saves a lot of time (and panic) when you do.

/rescue is populated ( see first email), but i do note that it's
modification date is March, and that it does not have the odd looking [
binary ( which i remember someone asking about in this list a while back).
I'd assumed that something was truncated in output but can see now that
it literally can't find /rescue/[

scp'd [ from a different box, free-update fetch/update happy now.

thanks

--
Paul Macdonald
e: paul at ifdnrg.com