FreeBSD 10.1, Mac Pro 2008, EFI, hangs at boot w/ "Start @0xfff...."

George Hartzell hartzell at alerce.com
Sun Jun 14 02:29:32 UTC 2015

Andreas Wrede writes:

 > > On Jun 12, 2015, at 21:47 , George Hartzell <hartzell at alerce.com> wrote:
 > >
 > > I have a 2008 Mac Pro (NOT a MacBook) that's been happily running
 > > FreeBSD for years via MBR partitioned disks.
 > > [...]
 > > I've recently been inspired to try the EFI booting stuff.
 > > [...]
 > > Booting either way exhibits the same symptom.  /boot/loader.efi
 > > runskoads the kernel and stuff but when it boots it prints
 > >
 > >    Booting...
 > >    Start @0xffffffff802e7000 ...
 > >    _
 > >
 > > (that's the address when booted from the SSD, the address for the 10.1
 > > USB stick is 0xffffffff802df060)
 > >
 > > and then hangs.
 > > [...]
 >
 > My experience with a Mac Pro (2009) is similar. I tried to boot
 > from CD and USB with FreeBSD 10.1 and a -current snapshot from
 > about 2 weeks ago. A MacBook Pro (2010) booted without a problem
 > with the both the 10.1 and -current USB images.  The MacPro will be
 > available for more testing in a week or two.

The Mac Pro will boot the 10.1 DVD.

I tried the EFI DVD and it shows the same symptoms as described above.

BUT I noticed that even after the "Start @0xfff..." message displayed
and the system appeared to hang the DVD ground away for another minute
or two.  Nothing else appeared on the console, but it sounded as if
something was happening.  Perhaps the problem is "just" with the
console setup.

g.