best options for a *WORKING* MTA

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Mon Jun 1 20:04:57 UTC 2015

On Mon, June 1, 2015 2:11 pm, Aryeh Friedman wrote:
> Yes I did I said several time.... I specifically said I can connect to
> port
> 25 from localhost but not remotely... I fixed it with exim so it is not an
> issue any more but the point is the default sendmail config is simply
> broken and so badly documented that making it work as described in the
> handbook or on various sites for 10.1 is very confusing

Disclaimer: I do not use sendmail, during last decade and a half I use
postfix, and am very happy about it (postfix was written with security in
mind...) However, occasionally it takes me some time after setting up new
FreeBSD box before I switch to postfix, and in an interim, I never noticed
sendmail to be broken. Again, I'm not a big fan of sendmail (though waaay
back "configure sendmail" was part of sysadmin test I had to pass), but to
say sendmail config on FreeBSD is broken is unfair IMHO.

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago