install missing packages in tex-live

Carmel NY carmel_ny at outlook.com
Fri Jul 31 10:06:36 UTC 2015

On Thu, 30 Jul 2015 23:33:18 -0500, Brandon J. Wandersee stated:

> The official TeX Live installer for also "just works," installing
> pre-compiled FreeBSD binaries to a self-contained location of your
> choice. Been using it some time myself without a problem. There doesn't
> seem to be much interest in maintaining a broad collection of TeX ports
> in the FreeBSD ports tree. I can't say exactly why not, but if I had to
> guess I'd say there may be two reasons:
>
> 1) The TeXLive packages already present in the ports tree are there
> primarily because other ports depend on them
>
> 2) A perfectly good *official* way of installing, using and maintaining
> TexLive has existed for a very long time, making a complete ports set
> superfluous

You are glossing over the fact that there is not easy or official way to
install missing packages in TeX Live under a FreeBSD architecture.  The
"tlmgr" program was designed to do just that; however, when installed via
the ports system, the program does not function.

--
Carmel