make: Missing dependency operator

Michael B. Eichorn ike at michaeleichorn.com
Sun Jul 26 15:40:14 UTC 2015

On Sun, 2015-07-26 at 11:11 -0400, matt at gsicomp.on.ca wrote:
> On 2015-07-26 10:33, Murk Fletcher wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to compile jpeg-archive (
> > https://github.com/danielgtaylor/jpeg-archive) as part of a greater
> >
> > effort
> > to get image_optim (https://github.com/toy/image_optim) working on
> > FreeBSD (
> > https://gist.github.com/murkfletcher/36f662a1c0ab59ea0eac), but I'm
> >
> > getting:
> >
> > # make
> > make: "/usr/home/freebsd/jpeg-archive/Makefile" line 10: Missing
> > dependency
> > operator
> > make: "/usr/home/freebsd/jpeg-archive/Makefile" line 19: Need an
> > operator
> > make: "/usr/home/freebsd/jpeg-archive/Makefile" line 31: Need an
> > operator
> > make: Fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
> > make: stopped in /usr/home/freebsd/jpeg-archive
> >
> > Anybody know?
>
> Perhaps the makefile requires GNUmake?
>
> Matt

Yup, its erroring out on a GNUmake specific if-else. At least, I do not
see ifeq as an option under make(1), rather we have .if

But it is even worse than that, the if-else in question tests for OS
based on uname and sets variable accordingly. Further, the test would
result in anything that is not Linux or Mac/Darwin being identified as
Windows.

Ike