Ulpt problems.

Ramiro Caso ramirocaso08 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 16:42:22 UTC 2015

Here's how far I got (I have a working printer without ulpt and with cups).

On 24/07/2015 07:48, Bernt Hansson wrote:
> On 2015-07-24 05:37, Warren Block wrote:
>> On Fri, 24 Jul 2015, Bernt Hansson wrote:
>>
>>> It seems that one needs ulpt, otherwise the printer isn't found.
>>> So I added to /boot/loader.conf ulpt_load="YES" then the printer is
>>> found by cups and hplip.

In order to use a printer with cups and ugen instead of ulpt, you have
to put some rules in devfs.rules, something like:

add path 'usb*' mode 0770 group cups
add path 'ugen*' mode 0660 group cups
add path 'usb/4.3.*' mode 0660 group cups

Where 4.3 is where the printer appears (just running usbconfig tells you
where that is). Maybe the rules are redundant, I don't recall anymore,
but again it worked for me. These rules give cups access to the printer
device.

>>> But I do not want to use cups so I deinstalled it. Cups can't print
>>> a testpage so I resorted to lpd.
>>> Which can't print anything, so back to cups that too can't print
>>> anything. So I'm stuck.
>>
>> The ulpt module is loaded by /etc/devd/usb.conf.  The file says
>> "please do not edit", and I don't know how those modules are disabled.

You have to create a configuration file for devd under /usr/local/etc.
What I did is to copy the entries in usb.conf that load the ulpt module
into this new file, change the priority to something higher than 32, and
change the action from "kldload -n ulpt" to a trivial action, "true". I
think there is a better, non hackish thing to do, but it worked for me.