a couple of minor but annoying issues: mate-terminal and firefox

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Thu Jul 23 12:20:15 UTC 2015

On Wed, 22 Jul 2015 20:14:24 -0700, David Benfell wrote:
> Quoting "Michael B. Eichorn" <ike at michaeleichorn.com>:
> >>
> > Ctrl+F is indeed find in a page. In firefox Ctrl+K places the
> > focus/cursor in the Search box to the right of the large URL/Search bar.
> >
> > I can confirm Ctrl+K works as expected for Firefox 41.0a2 under
> > Gnome+Linux. So it's probably not Firefox itself, perhaps the DE/WM is
> > intercepting the Ctrl+K thinking it is a shortcut ment for the DE/WM? Or
> > maybe there is something stealing focus from Firefox?
>
> This is when I wish I could articulate better what I'm sensing. I
> think you're right--it does have that 'feel.'

That would be a somehow "stupid" (although possible and valid!)
assumption. Why should the desktop environment capture something
as simple as Ctrl+K? I could imagine that with function keys,
and some Alt+Something or Ctrl+Alt+Something combinations, but
humble Ctrl+K? Hmmm...

> But what? And how would I find it?

Modify ~/.xinitrc (or ~/.xsession) which determines that you're
starting a Mate session. Have "exec xterm" your last entry in
that file. Then after you log in, only an X terminal (without
any window manager) will be displayed. Run "firefox" from that
terminal and try Ctrl+K. Now _nothing_ could possibly intercept
that key combination.

You could also check the Mate keyboard configuration if Ctrl+K
is associated to some window management function or program launch
(application shortkey).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany