a couple of minor but annoying issues: mate-terminal and firefox

David Benfell benfell at parts-unknown.org
Thu Jul 23 03:11:16 UTC 2015

Quoting Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de>:

> On Wed, 22 Jul 2015 18:11:14 -0700, David Benfell wrote:
>> First, mate-terminal keeps coming up with a default encoding of ASCII.
>> I want UTF-8. Desperately. The menu option is there and works, but the
>> default is wrong. I don't ever want ASCII. I always want UTF-8. Having
>> to remember to change this every single time is annoying.
>
> Set the environmental variables LC_ALL, maybe LANG, and MM_CHARSET
> to "en_US.UTF-8". You can do that via your ~/.cshrc or ~/.login_conf.

In my case, I think .zshrc (I settled on zsh over a decade ago). I set
all of the above, restarted my X session, and that seems to have
worked. I had LANG set by way of /etc/login.conf, so I'm guessing that
mate-terminal responds either to LC_ALL or MM_CHARSET. I hadn't seen
MM_CHARSET before, but I might well have had LC_ALL set in the

>> Second, control-K in Firefox is supposed to be a shortcut to the
>> search text field. This is working much less reliably than before.
>> Again, I haven't a clue--and can't find one--on how to make this
>> behavior more consistent.
>
> What happened to Ctrl+F?

Sorry, it didn't even occur to me that what I was saying was
ambiguous. Ctrl+F is for find in page. I'm looking for the web search
box.

Thanks!

--
David Benfell <benfell at parts-unknown.org>