r220's with serial

Paul Macdonald paul at ifdnrg.com
Tue Jul 21 18:34:04 UTC 2015

On 09/06/2015 20:23, Paul Macdonald wrote:

> has anyone managed to get serial console access working under dell
> r220's.

This was due to an ACPI bug in r220's

Marcel Moolenaar provided me with a fix which is:

  -BIOS-

Serial Communication <On with Console Redirection via COM2>
Serial Port Address <Serial Device1=COM2,Serial Device2=COM1>
External Serial Connector <Serial Device 1>

-FreeBSD-

adding the following line to /boot/loader.conf:
     hw.uart.console="io:0x2f8,br:57600"

 From the looks of it, you have a BIOS bug. In particular a bug in the
ACPI AML (you can dump the ACPI AML with acpidump -d). If I understand
it correctly then the first 2 serial devices (UAR1 and UAR2) have the
same H/W registers. What this boils down to is that the kernel only
works with 1 serial port (UAR1), which ends up having the H/W
configuration of the second serial port (UAR2).

With the BIOS redirecting to COM1 (which is H/W address 0x3f8) and
serial device 1 assigned to COM1 *and* serial device assigned to the
serial port on the chassis, the kernel had no chance to present a login
prompt.

I worked around the problem by reconfiguring the BIOS so that COM2
(which is H/W address 0x2f8) is assigned to serial port 1 and the BIOS
redirecting to COM2. What this does is have COM2 connected to the serial
port on the chassis.

So, even though I suspect that the kernel thinks it’s talking to the
first serial port, it’s actually talking to the second serial port (due
to the ACPI/BIOS bus).

--
Paul Macdonald
e: paul at ifdnrg.com