[ OT ] recommendations for a domain_name registrar

Jon Radel jon at radel.com
Tue Jul 21 16:05:18 UTC 2015

On 7/21/15 10:16 AM, kpneal at pobox.com wrote:
> I'm with Network Solutions but looking to move to someone reputable
> who _properly_ supports DNSSEC and IPv6 from their web interface. Does
> Gandi's web interface support adding keys, key rollover, and all the
> other stuff that goes along with DNSSEC? And IPv6 while I'm at it?
The key domains I have with Gandi all have DNSSEC over both ipv4 and
ipv6.   I've had no issues, though I'll admit that I've not bothered
with a KSK roll-over yet.  Based on the web interface, however, I have
no doubts about my ability to manage multiple DS records.

I run my own master servers and use Gandi only for secondary, so can't
address the integration of their DNSSEC tools with their standard set of
primary servers (which are both ipv4 and ipv6).

The weakest point is that their ipv6 support is not yet fully mature.
For example, if you use them for only secondary DNS, last I checked that
was available only in ipv4, though there was an enhancement ticket to
remedy that floating around.  I've also discussed some of their ipv6
routing, a broken ipv6 resolver in their IaaS environment, and so on,
with them over the past year. While they've been quite responsive in
improving things, clearly ipv4 users are still the squeaky wheels more
often, and there are still kinks here and there on the ipv6 network.

By the way, I do feel a need to point out that even if they're not
perfect, I've had much better luck than I do at most other vendors in
quickly reaching technical staff who are actually knowledgeable and
responsive when such things come up.

--Jon Radel
jon at radel.com