ZFS: zdev names don't match devices

Aleksandr Miroslav alexmiroslav at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 18:33:06 UTC 2015

New to ZFS.

I have two disks on my server, ad0, and ada1. This is what dmesg calls
them, and this is how they were referred to in bsdinstall.

I installed 10.1 with zfs-on-root, and setup a mirrored zpool. However,
when I run zpool status, these disks are called something else: gpt/zfs0
and diskid/DISK-Z1E08JB5p3.

This may have been because the ran the install more than once. Did I screw
up my zfs setup? Why do the vdevs have these names? Can/Should I rename
them? How do I map these vdev names back to my disks? (i.e. which one is
ada0 and which one is ada1?) Can zfs show me detailed info on these vdevs?

Here is the full output of zpool status:

$ zpool status
  pool: zroot
 state: ONLINE
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0h0m with 0 errors on Thu Jul  9 15:45:02 2015
config:

        NAME                        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        zroot                       ONLINE       0     0     0
          mirror-0                  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gpt/zfs0                ONLINE       0     0     0
            diskid/DISK-Z1E08JB5p3  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

Have I done something wrong in setting this machine up?