Gmirror/graid or hardware raid?

Paul Pathiakis pathiaki2 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 8 20:56:46 UTC 2015

Mario,

You may want to even consider using ZFS and jails....

If you're going to run FreeBSD as the VMs, it's probably more efficient
to run with jails and ZFS IMHO.

Also, you'll be able to create a lot more jails than you have cores as
the resources are shared with jails.

Turn the PERC card into an HBA/RAID 0 so that all the targets can be
seen individually as targets.  Then, use ZFS to create two RAID 1 zpools
and then stripe them to create a RAID 10 array.  This will be
extraordinarily fast in disk access.

All the RAID calculation will no longer be handled by the CPU on the
card but by main CPU cores which are, typically, much faster than what's
on a RAID card.  Also, with 16 GB of RAM and using jails, your could
easily create large amounts of jails, dedicate a large amount of RAM
(like 4-8 GB) to the ZFS cache and, basically, almost everything is
going to be worked in memory courtesy of FreeBSD and ZFS.

I actually had a setup like this with over 50 jails running numerous Web
servers.  After tuning the kernel to do web serving, making sure ZFS had
enough memory, the load was very, very, trivial.

Think of jails as a stripped down version of Solaris zones.  Very little
overhead, very secure and no resource demands outside of what it's using
whereas with VMs from a vendor like VMWare or VirtualBox, you have to
dedicate at least one core and some amount of disk space and, possibly,
other resources.

WIth jails, all the jails share one kernel image (separate from the main
OS) that is mounted as a nullfs to all of them.  They start and consume
what they need.  The only downside is if you have a runaway process
doing something.  I have yet to have one after creating hundreds of jails.

So, check into ezjail and/or other jail tools.  Read the Handbook on the
web site and look up jails.  It may not be what you want, but from what
you presented, you could use them.

(Before everyone jumps on me, this is a VERY SIMPLISTIC explanation I
know, however, I'd like to think it's accurate for simplicity sake. :-) )

Just trying to help,

P.