Gmirror/graid or hardware raid?

Mario Lobo lobo at bsd.com.br
Wed Jul 8 19:49:30 UTC 2015

Hi;

I'm building a server that is going to host VMs for a small e-commerce
site. It's mainly going to be used for testing new solutions/improving the
current site (on the cloud at this moment) but in the medium to long run,
the idea is to hold the production site in it.

Since I don't have any experience in running VMs for e-commerce, I don't
know for sure if my plan is correct or even feasible.

I want to use FBSD 10 as the host OS and the VMs will run under Virtual Box.

It should be a Dell 430 server (or IBM equivalent) CPU Xeon E5-2630 with 4
2T SATA HDs/16 G Ram/ RAID PERC H730 controller (supported by mrsas).

All VMs will run FBSD also with usual Apache/php/Mysql combination.

I really would welcome suggestions/opinions on what would be the most
efficient way to set up those HDs to hold these virtual disks.

I thought about zfs but I won't have lots of RAM avaliable. Should I use
the controller raid? Gmirror/Graid? What raid level?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this.
--
Mario Lobo
http://www.mallavoodoo.com.br