Best console hardware monitor pkg?

William A. Mahaffey III wam at hiwaay.net
Sat Jul 4 13:47:20 UTC 2015

On 07/04/15 08:33, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On 04/07/2015 05:27, Quartz wrote:
>> What's the general opinion these days on the "best" utility for
>> monitoring all the temperature probes, fan speeds, and other readouts
>> from a motherboard? (One that doesn't need X and can be installed
>> through pkg).
> This depends on exactly what sort of hardware you have.  There are
> different monitoring tools depending on your motherboard and processor.
>
> With modern CPUs there is usually an on-die thermal sensor which you can
> interrogate by loading a kernel module: see coretemp(4) and amdtemp(4)
> -- using these will let you read out CPU temperature using sysctl(1).
>
> Unfortunately access to other monitoring variables is less consistent.
> Probably your best bet is if you've a server class motherboard with some
> sort of lights-out management capability -- or indeed many other
> motherboards nowadays.  In which case you should be able to load the
> ipmi(4) kernel module and install ipmitool(8) from ports to be able to
> query it.  Using IPMI enables you to get, and possibly set, a lot of the
> stuff that's usually only accessible from the system bios, as well as
> access to on-board temperature sensors, PSU voltages, chassis intrusion
> sensors and fan speeds.  Now, while the tool and the management
> interface is common to a lot of different manufacturers, exactly how the
> monitoring data is structured is not, so it might take a bit of shell
> scripting to massage the data into a usable form.
>
> 	Cheers,
>
> 	Matthew

I have both xmbmon & amdtemp installed, & I think amdtemp is giving bad
values:

[root at kabini1, /etc, 8:50:06am] 918 % sysctl -A | egrep
'(temperature|usage)'
dev.cpu.0.temperature: 12.3C
dev.cpu.0.cx_usage: 100.00% 0.00% last 15us
dev.cpu.1.temperature: 12.3C
dev.cpu.1.cx_usage: 100.00% last 2173us
dev.cpu.2.temperature: 12.3C
dev.cpu.2.cx_usage: 100.00% last 16us
dev.cpu.3.temperature: 12.3C
dev.cpu.3.cx_usage: 100.00% last 9us
[root at kabini1, /etc, 8:50:08am] 919 % mbmon -c1

Temp.= 36.0,  0.0,  0.0; Rot.=    0,    0,    0
Vcore = 2.56, 3.78; Volt. = 3.36, 5.64,  6.57,   2.53, -2.64
[root at kabini1, /etc, 8:50:09am] 920 % uname -a
FreeBSD kabini1.local 9.3-RELEASE-p13 FreeBSD 9.3-RELEASE-p13 #0: Tue
Apr  7 03:01:12 UTC 2015
root at amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC amd64
[root at kabini1, /etc, 8:50:27am] 921 %

CPU is jaguar kabini (Sempron 3850). ~12C is thermodynamically
impossible for room temp of around 20C & the CPU producing heat :-).

--

	William A. Mahaffey III