portmaster -af fails due to dead port - HELP

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri Jul 3 13:07:18 UTC 2015

On Fri, 3 Jul 2015 13:09:14 +0100, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Jul 2015 23:06:50 -0400
> "William F. Dudley Jr." <wfdudley at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Is there a *simple* way to just replace all the ports I've built with
> > the packaged equivalents?
>
> 	I went through doing just that some months ago as part of
> switching to pkg. The approach I used was to use pkg_cutleaves to get a list
> of stuff that wasn't installed as a dependency. Then I looked through it and
> removed some I didn't care about winding up with my wanted list.
>
> 	Then I used pkg_delete to remove everything, installed pkg and
> used pkg install to install everything from my wanted list - which of
> course picked up all the dependencies.
>
> 	Ever since then all I've needed to do to keep it all up to date is
> an occasional pkg upgrade and build the couple of ports for which I have
> non-standard options.

In the current case (upgrade and packager change), I think
starting from scratch is the easiest way. My suggestion
would be to eliminate all installed ports, and make sure
that required contents of /usr/local/etc is backed up,
then install what's needed. A list may help, but the most
important thing is concentrating on "top level" ports,
which is the software you _really_ want to use. Let pkg
care about the dependencies. If you find something missing,
it's easy to add it with pkg. Especially if you don't have
the requirement to use non-default options (for ports), the
precompiled packages are fine to use.

That "top level" ports list can be created from a listing
of currently installed packages _or_ can also be created
manually. You _know_ which software you want to use. Then
the list can be fed to "pkg install", and the current (!)
versions will be available.

> 	I really don't miss portupgrade, it was a great tool but pkg is
> much better.

Now that binary updating is fully working, the need to
build from source has moved to specific edge cases. The
simple idea of "getting installed software updated" does
not force you to go via source anymore - pkg can do it
faster.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany